Town of Sandwich Response to COVID-19
The Selectmen met with Town Department Heads and our Emergency Management Team on Monday evening to review the evolving COVID19 guidelines from state and federal agencies. Our challenge is to provide Town services with GREATLY reduced direct contact. This is essential to protect all members of our community, especially the most vulnerable.
Sandwich residents have always taken good care of each other. We ask that this continue in terms of sharing transportation, home supplies, and even internet access. Checking in with neighbors will help all of us get through this together.
Town Response to COVID19:
- Town Hall – Selectmen’s Office: Closed to the public. Staff work in office Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays. Residents to file applications by mail or drop-box at rear of building. Residents can call and schedule an appointment if business requires in-person review or discussion.
- Town Clerk/Tax Collector: Alison will be in the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Residents to register their motor vehicles and dogs by mail or by drop-box. For those residents who must register in person, they can call to schedule an appointment.
- Parks & Recreation: All school activities and adult activities (basketball, pickleball) suspended until further notice.
- Public Safety (Fire & Police): Emergency services as before, other duties to minimize direct contact.
- Highway Department: Service to continue while working to minimize direct contact.
- Transfer Station: Transfer Station operating hours will remain as usual. Swap Shop closed. Residents encouraged to visit on Wednesday or Friday to reduce traffic on Sunday. Attendants can take trash directly from car – residents do not need to leave vehicle. For the time being, if possible, please limit drop-off to household trash and recyclables to keep the traffic flow moving.
- Committee & Board Meetings: Meet upstairs so appropriate distance can be created between committee members. Speakerphone is available to attend remotely and we are exploring using new video conferencing tools.
Please practice common sense recommendations: wash your hands frequently, disinfect surfaces, self-quarantine for two weeks in you have travelled overseas or even within our country, and limit any group contact to 10 people or less.
Finally, rest assured that we will be monitoring all local developments related to COVID-19, and as your Town officials, we are committed to timely and ongoing communication about any and all changes to our operating status as well as any recommendations to the public from public health and government officials.