Compliance Officer Job Opening
The Town of Sandwich is accepting applications for a Compliance Officer (part-time employee position) to oversee all aspects of the building permit process. Applicant must possess knowledge of the State of New Hampshire’s subsurface and shoreland program regulations. Full job description and application are available at the Selectmen’s Office at Town Hall. Applications are due on Monday, June 28th at 3:30 P.M. For inquiries, please call 284-7701. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sandwich Board of Selectmen
JOB OVERVIEW: This town employee is hired by and reports directly to the Board of Selectmen. This is a part-time position with the primary responsibility of assuring compliance with the Town’s Zoning Ordinance requirements and administering the State of New Hampshire Subsurface Disposal Regulations. The position assists in the administration and enforcement of other State and Town policies, rules and regulations, including but not limited to: State Shoreland Program, Department of Environmental Services’ rules and regulations, Floodplain Ordinance, Steep Slopes Ordinance, Site Plan Review and Subdivision Regulations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meets with applicants and/or to review requests for Town of Sandwich permits and proposed land use activity. Issues or denies permit requests. Refers applicants to the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, Historic District Commission or Sewer Commission for subdivision review, site plan review, steep slope review, variance and special exception review, excavation review, blasting review and life-safety code review per appropriate ordinance and law/regulations requirements;
- Conducts field site inspections of properties, demolition, development projects during and upon completion for compliance with approved applications, plans and specifications, and applicable ordinances, laws and regulations;
- Investigates and reports on zoning and land use violations and complaints;
- Within the scope of authority, takes appropriate action(s) to secure compliance, including issuing cease-work and corrective orders;
- Acts as advisor/staff to Board of Selectmen, Zoning Board of Adjustment, and Planning Board as required;
- Approves septic system designs for zoning compliance to be forwarded to the State of New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NH DES) for technical review and approval;
- Prepares annual budget and report; works with the Selectmen and Planning Board in proposing possible Zoning Ordinance amendments; educates the community on ordinance requirements; instructs applicants on correct procedures;
- Attends Selectmen’s meetings, Zoning Board of Adjustment meetings, and other meetings as requested by the Board of Selectmen;
- Interacts with Sandwich Police Department, Fire Department, and Road Agent in areas of dual responsibility;
- Provide occasional review of paperwork/applications from home through email, fax and scanning with office staff due to part-time work schedule in order to expedite, when possible, response time to applicants;
- Maintain an appropriate level of confidentiality regarding Town records;
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles, practices, and intimate familiarity with Town Zoning Ordinance and the ability to obtain compliance with the requirements therein;
- Thorough knowledge of the State’s subsurface disposal laws and regulations, and the ability to enforce same;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with the public, Town staff, Boards and Committees and instruct the public in ordinance requirements.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Completion of standard high school and an associate’s degree in a technical or building field or extensive employment and experience in the building and construction trade; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills, and ability.
Inside: 50% / Outside: 50%
EQUIPMENT USED: Personal computer, personal cell phone (smart phone preferable), remote home copy and facsimile machines, calculator, tape measure, and personal motor vehicle.
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Valid NH Driver’s License
OTHER TRAINING, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of approved methods and materials used in building and septic system construction;
- Knowledge and experience in applying and interpreting rules, regulations, codes and ordinances;
- Ability to take pictures in the field and email to the office staff
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: Work is performed with considerable independent judgment in the application and enforcement of laws, regulations and ordinances. Work is reviewed through reports, discussions, and results achieved.
I have read and understand this job description. I believe I am qualified to apply for, and succeed in, this position.
Applicant’s Signature Date